Here at Masons Self Storage, we know that it can be really confusing choosing a self-storage facility and getting your belongings ready for storage, so we’ve put together this handy guide to help!
Choosing your unit
- Do choose a reliable storage company – make sure you’re choosing a company that you can trust with your belongings! Here at Masons Self Storage, we are part of the Self-Storage Association (SSA), which means we follow their very strict set of guidelines! Look for the SSA logo on your storage company website.
- Don’t choose a unit or storage facility last minute – the storage facility that you choose should not only be convenient and trustworthy but also flexible and cost-effective!
- Do take an inventory of what you plan to put in storage – this helps you to determine how much storage you’ll need, and it’ll also help you to create a plan or a map of what you eventually put in storage. If you’re struggling to work out what size unit you’ll need, take a look at our handy self-storage calculator!
Packing your unit
- Do label your boxes – hopefully the items that you’re packing up, you don’t need to use very often but if you do, labelled boxes will help you remember what you’ve packed and where! It also makes unpacking so much easier and it’s useful if you ever need to come in and grab something.
- Do pack strategically – Store items that you’re more likely to need toward the front of the unit, and things you know you’ll be able to live without for a while in the back. And think vertically! Instead of crowding things across the bottom, take advantage of the unit’s height and stack your items, keeping the heavier things closer to the ground. If you can, make a pathway or aisles so that no item is out of reach. Why not create a map or a plan of your unit to help you remember where everything is?
- Don’t leave items unprotected – make sure you prevent items from getting damaged by taking the time to properly pack and wrap them using high-quality packaging materials. Fragile items should always be carefully wrapped in packing paper or bubble wrap and stored in a way that they can’t move around.
- Do purchase insurance – our units all come with insurance but also check if your contents or building insurance also covers your self-storage unit.
- Don’t store anything perishable – be careful not to pack anything in your unit that could go off, not only might it lead to bad smells, but it might also attract insects and furry friends that you don’t want living in your unit!
- Do ask for help – Moving things into storage can be stressful and hard work. Why not ask a friend or family member for help, especially if you’re going to be loading heavy items or stacking things up high! Plus, if you’re struggling with anything, our friendly team are on-hand and you can speak to our team in person Monday to Friday between 8am – 5.30pm and between 8am – 1pm on Saturday.
General self-storage advice
- Don’t share your key or access code – never allow someone into your unit unless you already know that you trust them around your belongings.
- Do purchase a strong lock – keep your unit safe and secure with a sturdy padlock. If you’re not sure where to get one, you can purchase one from our packaging supplies shop.
Masons Self Storage offers flexible, rolling contracts and is accessible 24/7, 365 days a year. Based just ten minutes from Cardiff Bay, Penarth and Cowbridge, if you would like to create some much-needed space at home or for your business, why not give our friendly team a call on 0800 533 5708? Or drop us an email: [email protected].